Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Another place....

"The Pina Colada Sarong"
Watercolour on board 5.5"h x 9.5"w


So I sat down today and painted this week's Different Strokes for Different Folks Challenge.

It was a beach picture and seeing that it was dull and rainy here today, not to mention colder than average for springtime, getting lost in a warm beach subject wasn't hard. Nor was it hard to image myself looking as good as my "model" does in her bikini...:-D

I was stumped when I came to the pattern on the sarong; so many choices, but I wasn't really happy with any of them.
The image I had painted so far was very strong and dynamic, so, following a more lighthearted vein, I put a twist in this piece and painted the sarong pattern with pineapples and cute, frothy drinks.
Now I'm sure all you more mature readers will remember that famous song, "Do you like Pina Coladas, and getting caught in the rain...." hence the title: The Pina Colada Sarong!

Here's to better weather ahead (and better jokes)!

10 comments:

Edward Burton said...

Wonderful one, Kim. I really like your take of the challenge - beautiful! Great title too.

dominique eichi said...

BEAUTIFUL, The sarong really makes it.

Anne Marie Propst said...

Love this original take on the DSDF. Great job on the project.

r garriott said...

Kim!!!! This is GREAT. Best one of the bunch. I LOVE it!

Vern Schwarz said...

Real nice twist to this challenge Kim. Great idea and nicely painted.

adebanji said...

Great Piece! I really love the colour and flow of the fabric!

Ann Gorbett said...

Kim-your painting caught my attention. I love the sarong. Now, that's a beach I'd like to be at right now!

Kim Ratigan said...

Wow! thanks very much :-)

Pouring rain here today and your comments were such a pleasure to receive!

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the piece (and my silly sense of humour!)

Art By Erika said...

What a beautiful rendition and I love the print on the sarong WOW

Nithya Swaminathan said...

LOVE this one! One of my favorites from this week. Great colors and the sarong works so well.